J a n n e C l a e s
Janne Claes (°1993, Belgium) Living in Antwerp.
Studied and finalised her bachelor in Fine Arts in the department Textile Design in 2016 at KASK in Ghent (BE) and obtained her master in Fine Arts in the department Multimedia design in 2017 at KASK in Ghent (BE).
During her studies she participated twice in an Erasmus. She implemented this in 2015 at Kunst- og designhøgskolen i Bergen (NO) and in 2016 at La Cambre in Brussels (BE).
Her work experience is in Visual Design, Textile design and Art Direction for different Belgium companies. Momentarily she is exploring her own collection in the field of Object, Surface and Concept design and works as a Art Director for Francq Colors.
- Visual Researcher for Francq Colors (2019- present): I develop with a team the new trend books for each season for interior and fashion design, this I do by researching the newest trends in colours, materials, products, food, beauty.
- Textile Designer for Lava Textiles (2021): Working on clients request for new samples for matresses with the technique of circular knitting.
- Textile / Visual Designer for JoV convert (2020): Start of new Rug collection.
- Designer for Marie Jo Lingerie(2018-2020): As designer at Marie Jo, I work on new innovative collections for the brand Marie Jo, this I do by researching the newest trend, technique and models. I aim to define Marie Jo in a contemporary consumption society.
- Product Development, Claes-sierbeton (2018): This is a family business running for almost 60 years. In this company I research and develop new concrete street funiture which can be used in public and private space. MODU-SYSTEM is the latest realisation which I developed.
-Master Multimedia Design 2016-2017, Royal Academy for Fine Arts Ghent (KASK)
-Master Textile Design 2015-2016
First semester Erasmus Belgica, La Cambre Bruxelles
Second semester Royal Academy for Fine Arts Ghent (KASK)
-Third bachelor Textile Design 2014-2015
First semester Royal Academy for Fine Arts Ghent (KASK)
Second semester Erasmus, Academy for Design and Arts, KHIB Bergen/ Norway
-Textile Design first and second bachelor 2012-2014 at Royal Academy for Fine Arts Ghent (KASK)
-Bellas Artes, Universidad de Panama, INAC Instituto National de Cultural 2011-2012
My work reaches in the fields of design and installation. Elements such as temporality, uncontrollability, matter and form are important aspects.
The work "De (on)eindigheid van het (on)gecontroleerde" ("The (in)finity of the (un) controlled") is a study on the relationship between objects and their meaning juxtaposed of each other and the viewer. By abstracting the expected function of an object and by rearranging these “ideas of functionality”, a new idiom is created, wherein an endlessness in composition and a constant ability to change this is the central course. An interaction is created between the 2-and 3 dimensional media (video, sculpture, installation), where materiality and situation bound presentations are the most important aspects.
Partipator of On The Point European project. By Entrepot Bruges 2019-2020
-4n20, Mimesis, Kortrijk, October- November
- KONVOOI, OTP, Bruges, Augustus
- Tropicana, Rue de Laeken, 24 May - 6 June
- Night Shop Chez Madeleine, Brussels, Rue de fabrique 4-5 May, unofficial partner of downtownbrussels.art.
- LYSTERINCK, Gent, March 2019
- Curating the young, OPEK, Leuven, 31 January
- K1 project WARP, Sint-Niklaas, March
- Design Museum Gent, MVSC02, February 2019
- Centre Culturel Bruegel with Eric VanUytven, Marollen/ Brussels, July 2019
- Firma, Vilvoorde, "De (on)eindigheid van het (on)gecontroleerde/Try It", May 2018
- Le Kabinet, Brussels, 17 February 2018 vernissage - 3 March 2018
- Kotroute Ghent, November 2017
- Design Museum Gent, Rechts/averechts, October 2017
- Graduation exposition, KASK Ghent, June 2017
- TIG # 5 GHENT, April 2017
- MAP glazengang, KASK Ghent, April 2017
- Gouvernement, Ghent, June 2016
- Croxhapox Ghent exposition, June 2015
- Zwarte Zaal (KASK) Ghent: FIXATIF EXPO, November 2015
- Nuit Blanche Bruxelles, October 2014
- Nachtvertier Collective, Ghent April 2014
- Chapter One Collective Brussels in the embassy of Brazil, April 2014
AWARDS AND COMPETITION
- Preselected: Start Point Prize, 2017
- Selected: Prijs van de Vormgeving, Bruynseraede- De Witte, 2017
- Winner: Print design price Jbc/ print in collection fall/winter, 2015 (Belgium)
- Residency at Firma, Vilvoorde-Brussels, October 2017 until October 2018
- MVSC (Maarten van Severen Foundation) masterclass Alfredo Haberli 2016/2017
- Creative assistant by Mayenne Nelen, Ghent 2015-2017
- Katrien Van Hecke, September/Oktober 2016
- MVSC02, Alfredo Häberli
- Graduation 2017, KASK
- Onrust Magazine, #1maart-mei
- NADINE, Human Mathematics Online, 30/10/2014 - 22/11/2014
- Weekend Knack Online, 04/03/2014
- Chapter01 Art-collective Brussels, since 2014